Sunday, May 25, 2008

Everybody Hurts - Take comfort in your friends

James (Jim) Curran 1935-2008
Granddad
The following song was always a favourite of mine because not long after it was released, over 15 years ago, I was going through a rough time with many things going on in my life. The song just captured what was happening to me. It also showed to me who my friends were at that time, in particular, my wife Chris and her family who helped me so much to get through the bad times.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. Just about 3 weeks ago Chris, her family and I lost one of our greatest friends. Chris's dad Jim died at the age of 73 after fighting Leukaemia with his typical "guts, drive and determination" for the past eighteen months. Jim was a friend to everyone but particularly to his family who he cared for and nurtured at all times. Perhaps some of how highly he was regarded can best taken from the fact that his funeral was conducted by four priests ( a fifth was already at another funeral) including one of nearly 90 years of age and was attended by over 300 people over half of whom had to sit outside the small church in Aviemore.

Now I am hurting from Jim's sad death but I know Chris and her whole family are hurting much more. I hope I can be as much of friend and comfort to them in the coming months as they were for me back then.

"Everybody Hurts - R.E.M."

When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on.
Don't let yourself go, everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes.

Sometimes everything is wrong. Now it's time to sing along.
When your day is night alone, (hold on, hold on)
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on.

Everybody hurts. Take comfort in your friends.
Everybody hurts. Don't throw your hand. Oh, no. Don't throw your hand.
If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone

If you're on your own in this life, the days and nights are long,
When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on.

Well, everybody hurts sometimes,
Everybody cries. And everybody hurts sometimes.
And everybody hurts sometimes. So, hold on, hold on.
Hold on, hold on. Hold on, hold on. Hold on, hold on. (repeat & fade)
(Everybody hurts. You are not alone.)



No comments: